Wednesday, 8 September 2010

The Frame

Exercise: A sequence of composition

In this sequence of images the practical aspects of composing an image are studied. Keeping a potential image within the viewfinder at all times is quite difficult. I chose to take a trip to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Edinburgh for this exercise as there are always guaranteed crowds of spectators and street artists to photograph.

Like most, I would normally only take a photograph once I had decided on the subject, maybe taking a variety of different views and angles until I was happy with the image. It felt a little awkward taking continuous shots of the street scene moving around crowds until the final image.

During the day I think I took about 300 photographs in total, some of which can be viewed on my flickr site, http://www.flickr.com/people/nicola-shepherd/ and I have whittled a series down to the following sequence for this exercise.

Arriving at the Edinburgh Fringe.


 Traffic control at the Royal Mile.


 Getting nearer to the crowds.


Spot a little boy having some fun.


Searching for a scene...........


Closing in on the performer.


Getting closer.


Trying to get an uninterrupted view.


Should it be a full view shot?


Or maybe a portrait?


Or work on getting an image from the details?



Tighter framing with a telephoto lens.



 Shutter speed not quite right.



 Almost there..................



 Try again.



 Not enough interest and the background too distracting.



 A tighter frame required to exaggerate reflection.


The final image.
I'm pleased with this image. The reflections of the street through the crystal ball worked out well. I have cropped the image to a square format as it makes the shape of the hands and the circular crystal ball more pronounced although a more experienced photographer may have taken this image in camera rather than cropped later in photoshop as I have.



































No comments:

Post a Comment