Monday, 13 December 2010

Assignment 1 - continued.

For this assignment I have put into practise the techniques learnt from part one of the teaching manual. The aim was to put together a cohesive set of images reflecting pairs of contrasts. All images were taken with a Canon 400d camera and either a Canon 18-55mm, 70-250mm or Sigma 10-20mm lens.

Each pair has been presented and mounted together to clearly show the contrasting concepts. As presenting each pair of images together side by side suggests that there is a relationship between the images you will find that each pair, whilst still showing the contrast, will also have something within the composition that is similar to its partner. E.g. In Light/Dark similar subjects were used, Transparent/Opaque similar tones and in Straight/Curved there is some similarity in the pattern.

Continuing with Assignment 1 these are the images for the next few pairs of contrasts.

Still

Still
This image was taken with a Canon 18-55mm lens at 43mm. Aperture f/5.6, ISO 400 and shutter speed 1/100sec was used. When I was thinking about the images I wanted to demonstrate the contrast between Still and Moving, my initial idea was to use flowing water or a still pond, however none of the images taken seemed to work out as I would have liked. In the end I have chosen this image of shop mannequins to represent Still.
Post processing
The highlights in the image were reduced slightly to minimise the reflection on the shop window. In hindsight these could have been reduced by using a polarising filter when taking the image. Although there are still some areas of reflection in the image I think the bright colours hold your attention enough for these to be less noticeable.

Moving
Moving
This is an image of traffic tail lights taken to represent Moving. Taken with a Canon 18-55 mm lens at 55mm and with the camera on a tripod. The camera was in Manual mode with an Aperture of f/5.6, ISO 200 and shutter speed 2.5sec. Again the idea was to have complimentary colours in both images so that the contrasts worked as a pair.

Rough
Rough
This image is a close up view of a decaying boat hull. It was taken in Aperture Priority with a 18-55mm lens at 55mm. F/11, ISO 100 and a shutter speed of 1/80sec was used. This is the only image for this assignment that I have taken from previously taken photos on file. The textures of the peeling paint and splitting wood seen on the hull were the reason I took the image in the first place and this picture immediately sprang to mind when thinking of ideas for this exercise. I particularly like the textures but also the triangular/diagonal lines created by the white stripe and wood panels.

Smooth

Smooth
In contrast to Rough is Smooth. Taken with a Canon 18-55mm lens at 55 mm. Aperture f/5.6, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/30sec. I used a shallow depth of field in this image as the idea was to show only a small area of the image at the tip of the iron in sharp focus. This is also where you can see that the fabric is smooth. I selected a striped fabric and placed it at angle to mirror the planks on the boats hull. The iron is placed on the top third of the image in the same way as the white stripe is present on the boat.

Liquid
 
Liquid
This image was taken with a Canon 18-55mm lens at 55mm and using a tripod. Aperture f5.6, ISO 400
and shutter speed 1/60 sec was used. Taken at St Andrews Botanical Gardens, the image shows a water drop suspended on a fern leaf. A shallow depth of field was used to blur the background.
Post Processing
The image was cropped to place the water drop on a line corresponding to the rule of thirds with the leaf itself forming a line diagonally across the frame.

Solid
Solid
In contrast to Liquid is Solid. Taken with a Canon 75-250mm lens at 75mm. An Aperture of f/11, ISO 320 and shutter speed 1/500 sec was used. This image shows frozen snow and icicles formed by dripping water drops. The blue highlights on the icicles are reflections from the sky.
  

3 comments:

  1. Some fabulous images (I've just seen these on Flickr too). I love the iron image - fabulous composition and excellent technique.

    Good luck with the assessment

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, it's taken me much longer than I anticipated to get this assignment done. Don't know if you found the same but I keep changing my mind about the final images. Even now I could change half a dozen of them. Think I'll be happier once I've had some feedback and know if I'm making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, for the first assignment I felt I was shooting blind almost but having just had the feedback from my third I think I can safely say that I know what is expected from my tutor. I'd have no concerns if I were you and would urge you to trust your instincts. If you want me to share my assignment and feedback though just email me.
    Regards
    Dave

    ReplyDelete