Sunday, 21 August 2011

Assignment 3 - in the bin!

I have decided that my work on Assignment 3 is a disaster and have just deleted the folder from the OCA website. Has anyone else ever done that?

As I've said before I'm really not enjoying  this part of the course. Can't quite decide why. It's not that I don't like taking colourful images. 90% of my photographs must be in colour.

Planning for this Assignment earlier this month I made a decision to use images that were authentic situations. By that I mean not constructing situations to fit the brief. e.g. no red shoes on green grass but perhaps red poppies in a field of green. However having done just that I find the images are really dull and just as contrived. The blast of colour I was hoping to achieve is just not there and so the images have been consigned to the dustbin.

I hope that was a brave move rather than a stupid one. I am a bit of a perfectionist at the best of times but I think I would have been selling myself short if I had sent in the Assignment as it was. I may be making a terrible mistake but my gut instinct is that the images were boring and predictable. Of the 16 images I think there is only 1 that I will retain and that is this one - of a blue /violet colour combination.



Of the images produced this was always my favourite. It is an image that shows the colour as the subject. Now I have to produce another 15 from scratch and worse still tell my tutor that Assignment 3 is still a few weeks off completion.


4 comments:

  1. I have given up an assignment plan last in the day and started again Nicola, so you are not alone. Sometimes the most creative work comes out after a setback like this, because you push yourself harder and grow and learn as a result. Have you got a plan for going forward - for example, doing something like starting with an idea and then finding a way for colour to tell the story rather than looking for colour itself?

    Best of luck with the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eileen. It's reassuring to know that others have these set backs too.

    New plan? Not sure. I seem to have a jumble of one off images in my head but nothing that comes togther as a cohesive set. I need to get this sorted soon or my tutors going to think I've given up. Not sure why I'm finding this assignment so annoyingly difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicola,

    I've been following your blog (which, by the way, I find great) for a while. I am also facing now the third assignment and I also feel a bit discouraged..........as a matter of fact, it is difficult!!!!!. For me the fact that I can now better see the problems in my pictures, makes it even worse.........none of my photographs really satisfies me. Then there is this thing about the narrative and the planning which is difficult for me to follow (may be because I am not used to it).............and to make things even worse it is difficult to find some colors in nature!!!!
    I fully understand you..........even more I'm having the same problems..........this is not helping you, but at least you know that you are not the only one having the same problems.

    Regards.and good luck with your hunt for colours !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Leopin I now exactly how you feel! Far from being discouraged I'm actually reassured.

    I know what you mean about narrative I struggle with that too. To make matters worse I've just seem Ghada's images for Assignmnet 4 on the OCA "Blog of the Week" which are amazing.

    Maybe we can compare notes when we finally finish with colour. Good luck and thanks for your comments about my blog.

    ReplyDelete