Saturday, 31 December 2011

Self Assessment and Reflections on Assignment 3

This has been a hard section for me - not because the subject of colour is itself difficult but because I aimed too high too soon. In my minds eye there was a cohesive set of colour images around a theme or in a particular style for this assignment.  

My first set of images were completed within the time line suggested by my tutor but were boring. Most were staged with items of the required colour placed before another colour. Not very creative, not very difficult but would have met the brief. That's not the way I intend to complete this course by taking the easy option. To get the most out of this learning opportunity I need to improve both my camera skills and creativity - even if that means the course overall takes longer. 

The second set of images are now 6 months late. I'm still not entirely happy with them, by that I mean there is always room for improvement, but they at least demonstrate that I understand Von Goethe's colour theory and can use it -  although in some cases I have chosen to ignore it if I think it improves the image. (Not sure how that will be received by my tutor when it comes to marking but I'll find out soon enough)

Some of the most important learning points for me relating to colour are:
  • Colours provoke a psychological effect, a feeling, an emotion. They are a very powerful non verbal language which we react to subjectively, depending on our experiences, but which are largely instinctive.
  • Colours convey different meanings to different cultures but some colour effects have universal meaning e.g. Blue = cool.
  • Colours are also known to have a physical reaction. E.g. when surrounded by the colour yellow a person feels more optimistic because the brain releases the chemical serotonin.
  • There are prescribed relationships in colour and ways of combining them that are acceptable to the viewer therefore personal expression in the use of colour demands creativity.
  • Generally there is more of a sense of movement in an image with contrasting colours and accents than there is with similar or complimentary colours. A colour accent acts in the same way as a small object stands out clearly from the background to create a point of interest.   
In working through this section of the course I have learnt how to better use colour as a tool in composition and to be far more self critical of my work. Perhaps in this case too self critical. I have given myself until the 7th January to complete the write up and post the completed assignment to my tutor. On reflection I need to accept that an assignment may never be perfect, (One of my worst faults is that I am a perfectionist) and that only completing the work to the best of my abilities at the time is not the same as failure.


1 comment:

  1. Nicola - methinks you are probably beating yourself up too much on this one my friend. :-)

    With the benefit of hindsight I found the hardest part of this assignment was getting myself to consciously think in terms of colour. Possibly like yourself I tried too hard initially before I realised that I reacted naturally to colours. As I reflected at the time " Looking back through my [existing] work I can see many examples of the concepts explored during this section but this is with the benefit of hindsight, I certainly didn’t set out with colour relationships in mind. "

    Thinking back, I suspect one of the hardest parts about this assignment was knowing I had to "think" about it. Given that many of those doing this course have artistic skills or interests I wonder if they also have an eye for composition and subconsciously use colour contrasts and accents etcetera? I wonder therefore if we make this assignment harder work than it need be by thinking too much and over analysing?

    All the best

    Dave

    ReplyDelete