Saturday, 28 April 2012

Up Close with a Harris Hawk

Harris Hawk  by nickynoo22
Harris Hawk , a photo by nickynoo22 on Flickr.
When I was out in St Andrews today scouting out a few events for Assignment 5, I came across a chap carrying this Harris Hawk on his arm. It turns out it is one of 6 hawks being used in an initiative to reduce the seagull numbers in the town centre which are creating a nuisance.

Bird photography is something I feel you need a good long lens and the patience of a saint for and I have neither. That's probably why I've never been very successful at it. To be fair I've never really tried it, I could never see the appeal.

However I wasn't about to miss an opportunity to take some up close images of this beautiful bird - the fine detail of the new feathers and the razor sharp claws and beak. I'm actually quite stunned at the detail that can be captured when I look at these full size. I don't think I'm ever going to be an avid wildlife photographer but I can now see why it is so appealing to others.

I bumped into this same chap earlier in the week and was kicking myself for not having my camera with me so I was lucky he turned up again. I really should carry my camera with me all the time so that I don't miss these opportunities.  

2 comments:

  1. WOW that is amazing you where meant to take the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the eyes that are so compelling. Glad you took the opportunity - it's a lovely detailed shot.

    ReplyDelete